Tuesday 29 July 2008

Self, self, self

One thing I want to do with this blog is stimulate some debate. It all feels a bit pointless without feedback; I want to learn stuff by sharing experiences. However, demanding comments is no good. Instead, I'll demand ideas on what you'd actually find interesting. Well? ;-)

Incidentally, I realise the most interesting thing would probably be to post prototypes of the things I'm working on. Sadly, the importance of preserving IP craps all over that. Well, at least until I decide the IP's worthless. ;-)

So, IP restrictions aside, what would make a debate-worthy topic for you? Agile methods? Forays into AI? Game ideas? Something else? Shoot.

5 comments:

Mal said...

BTW, I realise the whole "preserving IP" thing sounds incredibly up my own arse, but if a third party has even a small stake in the project, I've got to take that approach for their sake. Really, I'm only doing it to protect their slice, not mine. Hope you understand.

Jackson Pope said...

I find the AI discussion interesting, as I know absolutely nothing about it. Of course, any Agile discussion from a older, wiser you is of interest too.

Cheers,

Jack

Mal said...

Cool, I'll see what I can do. :)

Ashley Frieze said...

Perhaps the "how I made TDD work for me" stuff is the most interesting.

Particularly the real top-down stuff.

Mal said...

Hi Ash,

To be honest, I'm not sure I have made TDD work for me. At least not on the first of those two D's; I've done very little of this current project using the tests to drive the development of production code. And in the bits where I did use it, I wasn't particularly satisfied with the designs I produced.

Also, at work (who shall remain nameless), I don't use TDD at all. In fact, in the past year, I'm not even sure I've written a unit test retrospectively. Granted, the state of our codebase and the fact that it's not .NET has influenced that, but I still don't find myself reaching for TDD.

One last thing: what do you mean by "the real top-down stuff"? What issues are you getting at that the top-down vs. bottom-up post doesn't address?

Cheers!